There’s no place like home. Home is where the heart is. Home sweet home.
We’ve all heard these phrases before — and the reason they’re so well-known is because they’re true.
Home is also where you hang your hat. For Erie Insurance, our “home office” (corporate headquarters) sits in Erie, Pennsylvania. Over the years we’ve grown to nearly seven million policies in force and more than 6,500 employees across 12 states and the District of Columbia, but Erie will always be home and close to our hearts.
Our roots are here, and they run deep.
From the Beginning
Our two founders, H.O. Hirt and O.G. Crawford, started the Erie Insurance Exchange in Erie, Pennsylvania in 1925.
From the beginning, H.O. had a passion for connecting people, ideas and resources to help others and advance the community.
The spirit and action behind ERIE’s “Give Where You Live” value is as strong today as it was 100 years ago. From our employees in claims and underwriting to our board of directors and executive team, there is a common goal at ERIE to help the communities we serve.
Here in our hometown, our efforts are focused on community building and enhancing education at all stages, environmental sustainability and strengthening neighborhoods, including revitalizing Erie’s downtown.
What ERIE Offers Erie (and Vice Versa)
At ERIE, we believe in investing in our communities and in the lives of others.
- Through the ERIE Giving Network, employees and agents give their time, talent and resources to help build homes, plant gardens, feed families and tutor students. Employees can use up to nearly ten paid hours a year through our ERIE Service Corps program volunteering in the community, and many give more of their own time.
- Other employee initiatives like ERIE’s generous matching gifts program, the H.O. Hirt Scholarship Fund and the F.W. Hirt Employee Emergency Fund help meet the financial needs of employees, families, community organizations and others.
- ERIE also supports many local nonprofit organizations and charities through corporate grants, donations and tax credit programs to help advance vital community initiatives and contribute to the overall wellbeing of the people in our hometown.
- Our company leads and partners with others in the public and private sector to enhance our region’s economic development system, help transform the city’s downtown neighborhoods and bring new capital investments to Erie, Pa. In 2017, ERIE joined other visionary business, philanthropic and community leaders to form the Erie Downtown Development Corporation to transform the city’s downtown core and spark revitalization across the region. ERIE President and CEO Tim NeCastro is the founding board president of EDDC.
Because of these ongoing investments and unprecedented collaboration, Erie is seeing new companies entering the market, economic growth through entrepreneurship and more than $800 million in recent capital investments downtown.
But what is it about Erie, Pennsylvania that makes it a great place to live and work? In Erie, you get the big city feel with the benefits of a small town.
There’s something here for everyone:
- Local heritage festivals: Culture plays a huge role in Erie. From Polish to Greek and many in between, we celebrate and share our unique heritage and diversity throughout the year with fun festivals and delicious food. You can even see our CEO handing out homemade cuisine at the yearly Italian festival!
- Parks and green space: You may have heard about the 30 miles of freshwater shoreline along Lake Erie that make up our local treasure: Presque Isle State Park. You can find hiking and biking trails all across the county for outdoor family fun.
- Five local colleges and institutions: Erie is an educational hub – and we’re helping it grow. Penn State University recently recognized Erie Insurance as its Corporate Partner of the Year. Our newest partnership is with Gannon University’s I-Hack program and Mercyhurst University’s Risk Management program which is named after former longtime CEO and board chairman F.W. Hirt.
- Arts and culture venues and events: From our vibrant local theater scene to our growing mural display and museums for people of all ages, arts and entertainment are energetic in downtown Erie. Visit the newly-expanded expERIEnce Children’s Museum — a project made possible by a$1 million donation to the ExpERIEnce Children’s Museum and asignificant donation from our CEO, Tim NeCastro — or visit Erie Insurance Arena, a premier sports and entertainment venue steps away from our corporate campus.
Erie is a city with a can-do attitude, great work ethic and a true sense of community and family. Couple all that with affordable housing, a growing job base and an unduplicated central location (just a short drive away from Buffalo, Cleveland and Pittsburgh), and it’s not hard to imagine why we love Erie.
Make the Move (and Join Erie Insurance)
Interested in starting a career here in this Great Lakes city? We know that moving can be one of the most stressful experiences a person can face. At ERIE, one of our top priorities is helping make the relocation transition as smooth as possible. We offer best-in-class relocation assistance with dedicated concierge support.
Whether Erie is the city for you, or you’re looking to grow your career in your own hometown, we’re always looking for service-driven candidates who share our passion for helping others.
ERIE® insurance products and services are provided by one or more of the following insurers: Erie Insurance Exchange, Erie Insurance Company, Erie Insurance Property & Casualty Company, Flagship City Insurance Company and Erie Family Life Insurance Company (home offices: Erie, Pennsylvania) or Erie Insurance Company of New York (home office: Rochester, New York). The companies within the Erie Insurance Group are not licensed to operate in all states. Refer to the company licensure and states of operation information.
The insurance products and rates, if applicable, described in this blog are in effect as of July 2022 and may be changed at any time.
Insurance products are subject to terms, conditions and exclusions not described in this blog. The policy contains the specific details of the coverages, terms, conditions and exclusions.
The insurance products and services described in this blog are not offered in all states. ERIE life insurance and annuity products are not available in New York. ERIE Medicare supplement products are not available in the District of Columbia or New York. ERIE long term care products are not available in the District of Columbia and New York.
Eligibility will be determined at the time of application based upon applicable underwriting guidelines and rules in effect at that time.
Your ERIE agent can offer you practical guidance and answer questions you may have before you buy.